The Office of the Governor
THE OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR
STATE OF IDAHO
EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 2007-21
ESTABLISHING A POLICY TO REDUCE FOSSIL FUEL USE AND GREENHOUSE GAS EMISSIONS FROM STATE VEHICLES
WHEREAS, the State of Idaho has demonstrated leadership by establishing policies to reduce air pollution, wasteful, uneconomical and unnecessary uses of energy and greenhouse gas emissions caused by state government; and
WHEREAS, emissions from vehicles are a major source of greenhouse gas gases in Idaho as well as a major source of air pollution in Idaho’s urban areas; and
WHEREAS, to perform their duties and service the citizens State of Idaho departments, offices and agencies own or lease a significant fleet of motor vehicles; and
WHEREAS, the State of Idaho can and should lead by example managing its state vehicle fleet to improve and protect air quality, reduce greenhouse gas emissions and reduce the amount of fossil fuels purchased and used; and
WHEREAS, reducing fossil fuel use and increasing fuel efficiency in the state’s vehicle fleet will not only reduce greenhouse gas and air pollutant emissions but will also maximize efficiency in state government operations and reduce annual operating costs;
NOW, THEREFORE, I, C.L. “BUTCH” OTTER, Governor of the State of Idaho, by the authority vested in me under the Constitution and the laws of the State of Idaho do hereby order the following:
1. All executive branch departments, agencies and offices of the State of Idaho shall decrease the amount of gasoline and diesel used in State vehicles by:
a. increasing the fuel economy of
b. increasing the operating efficiency; and
c. reducing the number of miles driven by employees.
2. All executive branch departments, agencies and offices of the State of Idaho shall limit the purchase or lease of four-wheel drive sport utility vehicles and similar specialty vehicles to situations where there is a clear business need or the mission of the entity requires such vehicles.
3. All executive branch departments, agencies and offices of the State of Idaho shall give priority to the purchase and use of hybrid gas/electric and other fuel efficient/low emission and new petroleum efficient technology vehicles.
4. The Division of Purchasing will make available to all departments and agencies a list of available vehicle purchasing contracts, which will identify vehicles that meet the requirements of this executive order. Any purchase outside this list will need written justification signed by the director or administrator of the entity.
5. The Division of Purchasing will provide the
Department of Environmental Quality and Office of the Governor a quarterly
vehicle purchasing report.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused to be affixed the Great Seal of the State of Idaho in Boise on this 24th day of October in the year of our Lord two thousand and seven and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred thirty-second and of the Statehood of Idaho the one hundred eighteenth.
C.L. "BUTCH" OTTER
SECRETARY OF STATE